The following Phase 2A roads will be worked on as a part of the Smooth Ride Home rural road improvement program in St. Landry Parish during December 9-10, 2015. Please contact Bill Fontenot, St. Landry Parish President if you have questions or require additional information, 337-948-3688 office.
Dec. 9: Bourque Rd-Asphalt
Dec. 9-11: Lenora Rd-Asphalt
Dec. 9: Bellard Loop-Asphalt
Dec. 10-11: Homer Richard Rd-Asphalt
Dec. 9-10: Boxie Rd – Pre-Construction Work
Dec 10-11: Greg Rd – Pre-Construction Work
The City of Opelousas marks a magical start to the holidays with its annual ‘Lighting of the Village’ on Friday, December 4, from 5:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., at Le Vieux Village located at 828 E. Landry St., Opelousas. The official lighting of the historic Le Vieux Village has been a favorite holiday activity of both children and adults, offering a family friendly environment. For more information: www.cityofopelousas.com
Culinary/Arts & Crafts/Music/Demos & Workshops/Literature/Film
Saturday, December 5th, 11am-10pm
NUNU Arts & Culture Collective & throughout Arnaudville, La.
For more information:
The Eunice Community Concert Band and Choir announced that its 2015 Christmas production “On With the Snow” will be presented at 7 p.m. Dec. 10 and 11 at the Liberty Center, Eunice. The event features the community concert band and choir, community children’s choir and an art exhibition by the Fine Arts Council of Eunice
ST. LANDRY PARISH COURTHOUSE SQUARE
Location: 118 South Court Street, Opelousas
Date: Saturday, November 28, 2015
Time: 5:00 pm
It's been a beloved landmark in the heart of Opelousas for many years. Celebrate the lighting of the Nativity Scene and live oaks at the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square on Saturday, November 28th at 5:00 pm. This year marks the 62nd anniversary of the Nativity Scene and a special dedication ceremony has been planned. Join the Nativity Scene committee for the official lighting and Christmas carols.
The nativity scene at the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square first became an idea in the 1940s and made its appearance shortly thereafter. In 1953, a special building was constructed for the nativity scene.
On Sunday, Dec. 6, 1953, the nativity scene on the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square was unveiled at a special ceremony where Mabel Cools was recognized for soliciting donations used to purchase the nativity figures. Sidney Sandoz was recognized as chairman of the building committee. Robert Dejean served as Master of Ceremonies. Following the unveiling, the downtown Christmas lights were turned on. (Source: Daily World, 1953) .